Thunder Bay • Orillia

Program Regulations

School of Outdoor Recreation, Parks and Tourism Regulations


1. All students in an Honours Bachelor of Outdoor Recreation degree program are required to:
(a) provide a copy of their completed Standard First Aid/CPR certification (or higher), in their second year of the program, at the beginning of the first term to the School of Outdoor Recreation's Administrative Assistant. Students who do not have this completed will not be allowed to remain registered in OUTD 2270 and OUTD 2350;
(b) maintain as active the certification attained in 1 (a) for the remainder of the program;
(c) be prepared to attend instruction given at a nominal number of weekends throughout the academic year;
(d) pay a fee upon registration in a course with field-based learning.  This non-refundable fee is used to defray costs of transportation, safety, and accommodation.  Fees will vary depending on the activities, location, and number of days. (In addition, further charges for field-based learning in years 3 and 4 will depend on the activities, location, and number of days.)
(e) complete all degree requirements as specified within the calendar for each degree program.

2. Accident Insurance - The University does not carry any form of personal accident insurance. Students are responsible for any medical or hospital costs that they may incur as a result of an accident on or off campus. Those students who are not covered by medical and hospital insurance plans are advised to obtain some form of accident coverage. All students who participate in school activities are required to have adequate insurance coverage.


In addition to the University Regulations, and the Faculty of Social Sciences and Humanities Regulations, the following regulations of the School of Outdoor Recreation, Parks and Tourism also apply to students in these programs.

1. A student who successfully completes the courses as indicated in their program of study will have his/her year level incremented as follows:
Year 1 = < 5 full course equivalents
Year 2 = 5 to < 10 full course equivalents
Year 3 = 10 to < 15 full course equivalents
Year 4 = 15 >

2. (a) To proceed without condition to the succeeding year of a program, a student must:
(i) attain at least a D grade in each of the courses taken during the academic year
(ii) maintain a minimum overall average of 60% in all courses in each year
(iii) maintain a minimum 70% weighted average in all Outdoor Recreation, Parks and Tourism courses (for students entering an HBOR program in September 2000 or later).
(b) A student carrying additional courses must count those courses, for regulation purposes, as part of his/her academic load.

3. A student who has failed a course or courses may write a special examination as outlined in Regulation VII (Special Examinations).

4. A student is deemed to have failed the year if:
(a) the student has failed more than two full courses or their equivalent; or
(b) the student has failed more than one full course or equivalent with marks of less than 40%; or
(c) the student attains an overall average of less than 50% in all courses; or
(d) the student has a failure of more than one full course or its equivalent after special examinations have been given, whether the student writes them or not.

5. In a failed year, course credit is retained for only those courses in which a minimum mark of 60% has been attained.

6. A student having failed no more than one full course (or its equivalent) of the year's work after special examinations will be permitted to register for the succeeding year of the program.

7. A student who has failed a year is eligible to apply for re-admission to the University. A student will normally be granted the privilege of repeating one year only.

8. First class standing is granted on the basis of the weighted average of all Outdoor Recreation courses.

In the computation of a First Class Standing average, in addition to having attained a minimum overall average of A in the transfer credit courses, students who have completed credits at another institution must have completed a minimum of 2/3 of the courses used in the calculation of the First Class Standing average at Lakehead University.