Lakehead University evolved from the Lakehead Technical Institute which was established on June 4, 1946, by an Order-in-Council of the Province of Ontario. Classes commenced in January, 1948, in temporary rented quarters in downtown Port Arthur. In September of that same year, the first university courses were added to the curriculum.
The Lakehead College of Arts, Science and Technology was established by an Act of the Ontario Legislature assented to on March 28, 1956, and proclaimed on August 1, 1957. The government and the control of Lakehead Technical Institute were transferred to the Board of Governors of Lakehead College. The present University site, donated by the City of Port Arthur, was occupied on October 2, 1957.
Second-year Arts courses were added in 1960-61, and on March 3, 1962, the original Lakehead College of Arts, Science and Technology Act was amended to give the College "university powers" to establish faculties, and "to confer university degrees" in Arts and Science. The first degrees in Arts and Science were granted on May 5, 1965.
The Lakehead University Act, 1965, was given royal assent by the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario on June 22, 1965, and came into force on July 1, 1965. The Lakehead College of Arts, Science and Technology, thereafter known as "Lakehead University", was continued under this new charter.
Lakehead is a university with a dual role. It is a university in the north with the responsibility of bringing to Northwestern Ontario an understanding of a broad range of the basic academic disciplines as well as knowledge of the province, nation, and world. It is also a university for the North with the responsibility of gathering knowledge about the region for use in social, economic, and cultural development and for transmittal to the rest of the province, nation, and world.
In adapting to its environment over the years, Lakehead University's
character and dual role have made it distinctive in the Ontario
University system. Lakehead began as a university in the north
in the sense that the basic Arts and Science disciplines predominated,
although there were some small underdevelopment programs in technical
areas. The university then steadily added other programs that
were of significance and relevance specifically to Northwestern
Ontario. In addition, through extensive offerings by Continuing
Education, we have taken the classroom environment to the more
remote areas of Northwestern Ontario. The result has been that
Lakehead is now truly a university for the North.
- Coat of Arms
- The Campus
- University Library
- Communications Technology Resource Centre (CTRC)
- Health Sciences North
- Research Centres, Institutes and Facilities
- Academic Organization
- Co-operative Education
2007-2008 Calendar version